Who doesn’t have olive oil in their pantry? It is a must-have in every kitchen. As a cook, one of the hardest things to find is a good olive oil. Ever wonder why your vinaigrette dressing doesn’t taste quite right? The low-grade “extra-virgin” olive oil is probably to blame. In fact, according to a recent study published by the University of California, 69% of all store-bought extra-virgin olive oils in the U.S do not meet the International Olive Council’s standards. In the culinary and home cook field, olive oil is one of the most used cooking oils around the world. I am going to guess butter comes as a close second. The fruit is used for sautés, marinades, salad dressings, dips, and more. Not only is good olive oil great to cook with, it is the cornerstone to the infamously healthy Mediterranean diet. Linked to health wonders, olive oil has been shown to help reduce the risks of heart disease, lower blood pressure, and has been used for skin and hair remedies for thousands of years. That’s a lot of oil.
Using store bought olive oil to heat food in a pan is one thing, but doesn’t suffice in other aspects of cooking. That is why our local friends at Redstone Olive Oil have come to the rescue. Their specialty grocery store offers a variety of traditional premium olive oils, balsamic vinegars, salts, pastas, sauces, olives, and much more at a very reasonable price. Customers are welcome to taste test oils and vinegars and their inviting staff is there to answer any questions or inform you about their amazing products and services. Olive Oil party anyone!?
One of my favorite treats is an unusual combination of vanilla ice cream, great olive oil, and sea salt. Most people are surprised and reluctant to try, but are even more surprised how uniquely delicious the trio is. If you don’t believe me, google ice cream and olive oil testimonials (these really do exist). I usually only order this at restaurants because I usually don’t have good olive oil on hand. After a visit to Redstone Olive Oil, I chose their Rosemary infused extra-virgin olive oil, a Himalayan pink sea salt, and a lavender balsamic vinegar to macerate some strawberries with. I did not regret my picks and am anxious to go back for more.
Vanilla Ice Cream with Olive Oil
- 2-pints vanilla ice cream (preferably with a mild vanilla flavor)
- Extra-virgin olive oil from Redstone Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Place two scoops of ice cream in a small bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and enjoy.
Vanilla Ice Cream with Balsamic Strawberries
Ingredients: serves 4
- 4 cups strawberries, thickly sliced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 30 minutes before serving, place strawberries in a medium bowl. Toss with vinegar and sugar evenly coating the strawberries. Cover and set aside.
- When ready to serve, place two scoops of ice cream in a small bowl and top with macerated strawberries. If desired, drizzle extra balsamic vinegar over top. Enjoy.